cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP not working inside a VLAN

Frank Sinatra
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very simple setup. A Netgear router that is connected to WAN and has four ports. If I connect a PC to any port, I get an IP from DHCP (192.168.10.0/24) and the internet is also working. 

What I want to do is to extend this to a Cisco switch. On the switch, I have created VLAN 10 and assigned the ports 1-10 to that VLAN. Port 1 is connected to the Netgear as a WAN/DHCP. Now if I connect a PC to any of the remaining ports, I can't get an IP from the Netgear's DHCP server. What am I doing wrong?

int fastEthernet1/0/1
    switchport access vlan 10
    description NETGEAR

int fastEthernet1/0/2
    description ConnectedToPC

int fastEthernet1/0/3

int fastEthernet1/0/4

int fastEthernet1/0/5

int fastEthernet1/0/6

If I connect a PC to port 2 and another to port 3; and give them an IP in the same subnet, I can ping them. But the DHCP is the issue.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Should work at first glance, is there anything in the logs (of the switch and or the DHCP server) ; when you force the PC to get a new IP with (ipconfig /release and renew) for instance. It's best to test this explicit in order to not confuse with machines having an IP already.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, 

Try adding "spanning-tree portfast" to the access ports. Without it DHCP requests don't get forwarded while spanning tree is being negotiated when the ports come up.

Hope this helps

I added spanning tree to both ports but it's still the same. There is a trunk on the switch. Could it be causing any issues?

Hello

First of all you may require a crossover cable between the the switch and the negear router/siwtch if the ports are not mdix compatible.

Second put all access ports on the new switch in access vlan 1 test again

switch
interface x/x
switchport host
switchport access vlan 1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

You might need DHCP snoop turned on. The multicast/broadcast for DHCP discovery might be not getting to the server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card