cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP question??

sathyasav
Level 1
Level 1

Can i configure the layer 2 switch for DHCP services to provide the IP addresses for the hosts connected on this?

6 Replies 6

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

2960 series of cisco switches can act as dhcp server.

IS that a layer 2 device? And more over is that switch existing in the market now?i dont think so.My question is Can layer 2 switches act as a DHCP server or only layer 3 can be configured for DHCP services?

Thanks,

Sathya

Sathya

The 2960 is a L2 switch (the 2960S can do basic routing).

The answer to your question is yes some L2 switches can do DHCP. But obviously the default-gateway they hand out cannot be an interface on the L2 switch itself because L2 switches don't route.

Jon

2960 is consisdered layer 2 switch..Whther a layer 2 switch can act as dhcp server or not,depends entirely on the switch model,and vendor implemetation.

Jon,,

since it dont route then what is the purpose of configuring that switch as a DHCp server?its of no use right?

Correct me if i am wrong.

Not necessarily although your point is a good one. In a network with a L3 switch i would agree.

But if you had a small network and only needed the L2 switch then it could be used in that scenario eg. a 2960 switch running DHCP for one subnet perhaps handing out a default-gateway of a firewall for internet access.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card