Helpful
Replies

dhcp snooping not working (solved)

bavo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an question.

I`m testing the DHCP snooping in my test environment. Before i implement it in the production network.

My setup:

2 c3560 linked with a trunk TS01<->TS02  (TS=TestSwitch:-)

A DHCP server router (Cisco RV180) is connected on port 10 on TS01

Both switches has been configured as follow:

ip dhcp snooping

ip dhcp snooping vlan 1-2048

port 10 on TS01 is configured with the "ip dhcp snooping trust".

all ports are configured in VLAN 110

If i connect a laptop on port 40, i receive a ip address from the dhcp server (as expected).

If i configure a router for DHCP, and connect it to port 15 (in the same vlan as the other DHCP) The port is not switching in the err-disable state as i should expected.

When i disable port 10 (the good DHCP) and renew the IP of the laptop i receive an IP of the "Rogue" DHCP server. witch is not configured with the "trust" rule..

A`m i missing something?

I`m using the c3560-ipservicesk9 version

2 Replies 2

bavo
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, after 6 hour testing so far.

After a cashing thing i discover that when i disable port 10 (the good DHCP) i did not receive a ip address from the rogue router (port 15). But the port is not in err-disable state.

When i configure "ip dhcp snooping trust" on port 15 (The rogue DHCP) i`m able to receive a IP address.

Conclusion So far
i could say the the DHCP snooping holds the DORA packets. but it is not transition the port into error-disable state nor logs the action..
So i`m looking into the violation actions.

In the last few days i`m looking for the reason wy the port is not set to err-disable state when a rogue DHCP server is connected to the switch when the  switch is configured for "ip dhcp snooping".

I found out that the port is holding the DORA packets of the rogue DHCP server. But the port will never put in the err-disable state. Never was. not even a log message. It was never build for that protocol.

This is a flaw in the documentation of the DHCP snooping. I think the should be in the docss. May be it will be in the future.

Case closed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card