Level 1

kindly give me difference b/w flood and broadcast with some example

2 Replies 2

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Below is my own suggestion:-

I have seen that the term flooding is always associated with Layer 3 and above For e.g. UDP flooding, ping flooding, and broadcast is for Layer 2.

As the term defines itself,flooding is process of giving more than the capicity,is always associated with hacking. Whereas broadcasting is the term which is basics of networking.All the network devices do the broadcasting.

Regards

JD

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

When a frame is broadcast, the destination address will be all ones (ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff).

When a switch or bridge floods, it send the frame out all ports, but the source and destination addresses remain intact (no broadcast address).

The original purpose (with bridges) is to cover the circumstance where a client may exist on the network that the bridge has not yet heard from.

Bridges and switches find the client addresses by listening for the source address of frames passing through. When it sees an address that is not yet inthe forwarding table, it adds the address, if the address exists in the current forwarding table, the address is refreshed and the aging timer is reset.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card