Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between 3850E and 3850S

aarron.tame
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a client that is looking to upgrade their core switches fro NetGear to Cisco 3850's. The problem they have is they are unsure whether to get the 3850E or 3850S. 

Can someone explain what the direct differences are between the two models.

All information is really appreciated.

Thank you

Aarron

3 Replies 3

The switches with -S have the IPBase software, the ones ending with -E have the IP Services software. There is a third option, -L which is LAN base:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

The differences in these versions are explained in the Q&A:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Aarron. 

Karsten is correct. Check out his Q&A link for better understanding of these different versions. The question is, do you need advanced Layer 3 features on your client's core (like IP Services)? Let me know if you have other concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the other posters have already noted, the E suffix enables, from the "factory", additional features, the most important usually being dynamic routing features.  However, what I also want to mention, on many switches, you can field (configuration) upgrade a S suffix to an E suffix capability by upgrading the installed license.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card