cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between console port and dedicated management port

Clay Plaga
Participant
Participant

Can someone explain what the difference is between the console port and the dedicated management port(fa0) , on a Cisco 2960s switch.

Thank You.

20 Replies 20

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

Console port:  Requires a dedicated console cable.  This means you have to have physical access to the appliance. 

Management Port:  Remote access only.  You can't run normal data traffic on this.  

Thank You for the information, I think I understand it now. The console port is for out of band management & configuration. The dedicated management port is for remote out of band management & configuration.

I have a Cisco 2960s switch that I did the basic configuration on. The administrative IP address & subnet mask is configured on vlan 1, gi1/0/1. I also have it configured for SSH remote login, and it's is working. I have to move the management connection to the dedicated management port(fa0). Do I have to put the management port on a vlan to assign an administrative ip address?  How do I configure the dedicated management with an IP address, subnet mask & default gateway? I have never done this before.

Thank You very much.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend
Thank You for the information, I think I understand it now. The console port is for out of band management & configuration. The dedicated management port is for remote out of band management & configuration.

Console port is NOT an "out of band management" or OoBM because you can't assign an IP address on it (unless you've got a console server).  This means you can't telnet/SSH into a console port.  Console port is an "up close and personal" port:  You need to have physical access to the appliance in order to use the console port. 

Management port is an OoBM port.