cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference Between IOS XE 3 & IOS XE 16

gillmc.522
Level 1
Level 1

For example I have a WS-C3650-48PS switch stack and when I go to cisco.com for updated versions of the IOS XE software I can download either IOS XE 3.6.5E or IOS XE 16.1.3.  What is the difference when it comes to a "run of the mill" switch/switch stack?

I have searched quite a bit for the differences but I cannot seem to find anything that truly outlines the differences in the versions.

Thank you in advance!!!

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Austin Sabio
Level 4
Level 4

Well, the recommended release is 3.6.5E. However, you can compare the two IOS images using Cisco Feature Navigator Tool http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp 

Please rate, if helpful. 

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

16 will be the new direction.  Pretty soon work on 3.X will stop.

True. 

"For Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches and Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Release 3.7E has merged with Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x. Most features supported on Cisco IOS XE Release 3.7E are also supported on Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x".

Thank You engineer_aus!!!

Thank You Leo!!!

Hi Leo,

I am trying to trunk a 3850 switch with IOS 3.0.6 with a 3850 16.1 IOS and they do not seem to work.

Just wondering if the IOS difference is the culprit here ?

The VTP trunk does not seem to be broadcast across.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

P

Hello,

I think the configuration is identical on 16 and 3 releases. What do you have configured, can you post that ? Since you say that VTP is the problem, what is the VTP configuration on both switches (make sure VTP mode/version/domain/password are correct)...

Hi Georg,
We definitely have some VTP issues - I checked again and again and our VTP mode/version/domain/password and they are all correct.
The old setup is :
New switch 1 - a 3850 switch (ios 03.06.06E) trunk to Core Nexus 7k by SFP : working fine to the Core.
New switch2 - a 3850 (ios 16.6.1) trunk to New switch 1 by Ethernet cat5 cable link port 48 to port 48 and not working :
Can not see all the VLANs
New setup is :
New switch2 - a 3850(ios 16.6.1) NOW trunk to an existing Access switch3750X and SUDDENDLY all VLANs
propagating through and it works perfectly.

So I assume something is not compatible between the two IOS 3.6..6E and 16.6.1 ?
Cheers

Hello,

odd indeed. Can you post the output of 'show vtp status' of both switches ?

Also, Cat5...make sure you have at the very least Cat5e, or better, Cat6 or 6a or 7.

Hi ,

Sorry for the late reply.

We found out the problem is with the new Module we added in recently.

Mod  Ports  Module-Type                         Model              Status
---  -----  ----------------------------------- ------------------ ----------
6    48     1/10 Gbps Ethernet Module           N7K-F248XP-25E     ok

when new switches connect to it - VTP does not propagate through.

We log a case with Cisco TAC and went through with them debug etc and is now waiting for

their solution and response.

Thanks again

It is 2019 and 3.6.9e was issued 11 September 2018.  Do we have an estimated date the 3.X.X IOS will end its life?

Austin Sabio
Level 4
Level 4

Well, the recommended release is 3.6.5E. However, you can compare the two IOS images using Cisco Feature Navigator Tool http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp 

Please rate, if helpful. 

Fantastic response, Austin. I just want to clarify that those are not IOS images; rather, they are IOS XE images. 

dipesh shah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don's see any option in "Platform" field for C3850 to compare between cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05.E.152-2.E5.bin and cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.02.02.SPA.bin I have C3850-24P switch.

please help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card