cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between portfast and edge port

ABINTHOMAS6431
Spotlight
Spotlight

Both portfast in STP and edge port feature in RSTP is used to skip the listening and learning stages for access ports... I know both are configured using the same command.... Then what is the actual difference between them? 

6 Replies 6

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @ABINTHOMAS6431 ,

I think this Cisco learning discussion answers your question:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/72871

Regards

Thanks for the reply. 
I came to know that various cisco learning discussions regarding this subject are pointing out different opinions and i am still confused.
From one of those what i understand is, The edge port is a portfast with BPDU guard and BPDU filtering which loses its portfast status upon receiving a BPDU.. but the normal stp portfast will remains in the portfast state as long as the portfast is disabled manually. Therefore the normal portfast can cause loops when a switch is connected accidently to the portfast enabled port.... Did i get correctly?
Please do correct me if i am wrong. 

Regards @luis_cordova  @Martin L 

Hi @ABINTHOMAS6431,

You are right.

The way you describe it is a very good way to describe an Edge Port.

Regards

3 different things are PortFast (good), BPDUguard (good), BPDUfilter (bad as disables STP). Plus 2 methods of applying those: globally or per-interface based.
it is confusing a bit due to Guard and Portfast can go together when applied Globally.

PortFast - when gets BPDU, it loses its Portfast status and becomes normal port and goes via STP phases. However, port is not Err-disabled.
BPDU Guard - when gets BPDU, it will become Err-disabled port.
BPDUfilter - ignores BPDUs completely that's why is BAD (mostly). When configured globally, BPDU Filter port will become regular stp port when gets BPDU.

you can have PortFast configured but not BPDUGuard. Mostly, all switches I have seen have both on.

Thank you for the information

Martin L
VIP
VIP

The Major benefit of Edge port and portfast is the fact that such port does not force topology change when going down or up . this is very good of course.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card