cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

distribute-list functionality differences OSPF vs EIGRP

joshua4191
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to find more info about how exactly the command distribute-list filters for EIGRP and OSPF.  There seems to be some big differences in how they interpret the in and out setting

This is what I understand:

For OSPF:

IN - Filters what is added to the routing table

OUT - Used for filtering redistributed routes.  I.e distribute-list 1 out eigrp 9

For EIGRP

IN - Filters updates into the topology table, generally or by interface

OUT - Filters updates leaving the router generally or out a specific interface.

Here is a confusing bit.  out can be used to filter redistribution from another routing protocol.  I.e distribute-list 1 out rip 9 I personalty would have thought you should use in.  Just like you do for an interface.  Why do we use out?  This confused me at first.  Let me give an example.

If you are redistributing routes out of OSPF and into EIGRP you can filter them as they come into EIGRP with the EIGRP router command "distribute-list out ospf 9".  At first I thought that this command was filtering in the other direction.  I thought that it would filter routes as they where redistributed into ospf.  I was looking at the out and thinking that this was some kind of filter that you set up on the routing protocol that the routes are taken from.

Am I right here?  The EIGRP command "distribute-list out ospf 9" filters routes as they come into EIGRP from OSPF?

Am I right about how the in and out settings work for OSPF and EIGRP?

Is there more that the in and out settings do?

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card