Views
Helpful
Replies

dmvpn with totally stub area

glebpe185
Level 1
Level 1

HI Guys,

Situation is I have a spoke in DMVPN  which needs to redistribute a couple of EIGRP routes into the cloud but the problem is that all spokes are in totally stub area which not allows you do inject any type 5 lsa. Is there any workaround?

Cheers.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Traian Bratescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you change it to NSSA totally stub?

router ospf 1
 Area 1 nssa no-summary

Traian

View solution in original post

That depends on your constraints - I would assume you want to run EIGRP for filtering purposes...

I could think of the following:

1. Create a new area for that speciific spoke and make it nssa (most elegant).

2. Run EIGRP also on the HUB and redistribute there.

3. Could Static Routing (possibly with IP SLA) be of any help?

4. Create some tunnel between that spoke and HUB and run a routing protocol over that link (the ugliest solution :) )

Traian

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Traian Bratescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you change it to NSSA totally stub?

router ospf 1
 Area 1 nssa no-summary

Traian

It will require changing it on all spokes (30 routers). So theoretically it's possible but it's a complex change. 

So if there is no easy workaround I will eliminate EIGRP completely on the branch site and run ospf instead.

That depends on your constraints - I would assume you want to run EIGRP for filtering purposes...

I could think of the following:

1. Create a new area for that speciific spoke and make it nssa (most elegant).

2. Run EIGRP also on the HUB and redistribute there.

3. Could Static Routing (possibly with IP SLA) be of any help?

4. Create some tunnel between that spoke and HUB and run a routing protocol over that link (the ugliest solution :) )

Traian

Hi Traian,

It's just a single L3 switch at the branch with advertises all lan subnets to the dmvpn spoke router.

1. How can I create another NSSA arrea specifically for the spoke if I have a single /23 multipoint GRE on the hub? I cannot use the same interface for multiple areas can I ?

Thanks

Hi,

unfortunately no - you are correct; depending on whether you need to have spoke-to spoke connectivity you could either replace that tunnel or add a new one (can be point-to point)... or run eigrp all the way to the hub if static routes are not an option.

... or as you initially proposed add the new router to the OSPF domain.

Apart from the configurations above I can't think of any other setup.

Traian

Hello

Just to clarify - this DMVPN spoke is running ospf routing and is a stub , and now it become ASBR with eigrp?

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card