cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS / DHCP Question

fultont
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to provide local DHCP addresses and update DNS settings with in the same router? If so, how would it be configured? I can successfully distribute DHCP addresses and provide DNS resolution utilizing an external DNS server but would like to implement the same for local addresses without having the manually add host records. The issue at hand is resolving drive mappings using UNC names based upon DHCP addresses. Provide the router maintains a connection to the corporate DNS server I don't have an issue but in our environment we only have cellular connectivity and at times no outbound connectivity. In those instances, I still want to resolve the UNC / machine via local DNS

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

2 Replies 2

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

fultont wrote:

Is it possible to provide local DHCP addresses and update DNS settings with in the same router?  If so, how would it be configured?  I can successfully distribute DHCP addresses and provide DNS resolution utilizing an external DNS server but would like to implement the same for local addresses without having the manually add host records.   The issue at hand is resolving drive mappings using UNC names based upon DHCP addresses.  Provide the router maintains a connection to the corporate DNS server I don't have an issue but in our environment we only have cellular connectivity and at times no outbound connectivity.  In those instances, I still want to resolve the UNC / machine via  local DNS

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Not with a Cisco router/switch as far as I know. Cisco's don't run a DNS server as such - there's nowhere for the database required for such functionality to work.

You'd need to implement something like a Microsoft DHCP server integrated into AD for this to work.

EDIT: It appears Cisco's CNS Network Registrar does support this functionality, but I have no experience with this, or any idea what it costs - it certainly doesn't run on a switch/router, though.

Cheers

Hi,

Cisco routers can run a DNS indeed but there are some limitations, here's an interesting article about this:

http://stack.nil.com/ipcorner/RouterDNS/

I also found this for DHCP/DynDNS but maybe it is not applicable as the OP asks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3y/12_3ya8/gt_ddns.html

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card