Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS issues with Cisco 881

Hi All,

Im fairly new to routing and could do with some help here.

I have a New cisco 881 connected up and its carrying Voice and Data - Voice is working fine but since we removed the old Router on site and connected to the new 881 the only website the PCs can connect to is google.ie, however if you try click on a link it fails. The Server is issuing all the DHCP and the server is able to connect to any websites no problem. If is set the DNS manually on the PC's its working fine but will need to have it left to obtain automatically.

The server is pointing to the ISP's dns directly. I have had a look online and theres a command -"Fixup protocol dns maximum-length 4096" which is for an ASA - theres a simple Firewall in use here on the Router but that command isnt applicable on the 881.

As I said the voice is working fine but just seems to be a DNS issue on the Data side.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

J-P

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

J-P

I am having some difficulty in understanding the question. I think that you are telling us that the server is able to successfully access Internet resources but that clients are not, unless you statically configure a DNS server on the client. To me that sounds like the server is not giving the clients the correct DNS server. Perhaps you can give us some details of how the server is configured and what it is supplying to clients.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card