cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need proxy ARP if default gateway is set ?

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I see proxy ARP is not well documented, but after reading couple of documnets, I concludes that proxy ARP is not needed if the default gateway is set on endpoints machines, 

HostA--------------R1--------------HostB

if HostA wants to communicate with HostB, then since this subnet out of its network, it will forward the traffic to the gateway, which means proxy ARP is not triggered,

Am I right ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you are correct that in the case that you describe proxy arp is not triggered. So you do not need proxy arp.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you are correct that in the case that you describe proxy arp is not triggered. So you do not need proxy arp.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard,

You are welcome.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As a side note, if you had R1 and R2 on network with hostA, and hostB was best reached via R2, but R1 was configured as hostA's default gateway, R1 would forward the packet to R2 and, assuming R1 wasn't configured to not do so, R1 would send a redirect to hostA informing it to use R2 to get to hostB.

Hi Joseph,

but how is that related to Proxy ARP  ?

R1----------R3

|                |

HostB-------SW-------             HostB

|                |

R2----------R4

if R1 send ICMP redirect message to HostA telling it use R2, then HostA will ARP for R2 IP address (not Proxy ARP) !!

but how is that related to Proxy ARP ?

It's not but your original question was also asking about default gateway over riding the need for proxy ARP (which was answered by Rick).

Mine was just an additional note that when you use a host's default gateway, depending on the situation, your host might "automatically" stop using default gateway for a destination.

Thanks for your note Joseph, it is clear :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card