cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to create ip address to another switch when i use stack?

john.medalla
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day!

Please help me to answer this question in my title. I have 2 switches my old switch has configure ip address and i will use stack to my another switch the old one will be the primary and new switch is the secondary do i need to configure the ip address of the new 1 or  no need? i'm totally confuse on it. I hope you can help me regarding on this matter.Thank you.

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

no Need.

Here is the procedure:

Tips to Add a Switch as a Slave to the Stack

To add a switch, as a slave, to a stack, complete these steps:

Note: Make sure the switch that you add into the stack has the same IOS version as the switches in the stack. Refer to Catalyst 3750 Software Upgrade in a Stack Configuration with Use of the Command-Line Interface to upgrade the IOS in a catalyst 3750 switch.

1. Change the switch priority of the switch to be added to "1".

switch stack-member-number priority new-priority-value

Note: This step is optional, but it will make sure that the switch has fewer chances to become a stackmaster in the future.

2. Power off the switch that is to be added.

3. Make sure that the stack is fully connected so that, when you connect the new switch, the stack will be at least in half connectivity and does not partition.

4. Connect the new switch to the stack with the StackWise ports.

5. Power on the newly added switch.

6. After the new switch comes up, issue the command show switch to verify stack membership.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

***********Plz dont forget to rate all usefull posts*********

Approved document on CSC as well.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/19701/how-add-and-remove-cisco-catalyst-3750-switch-existing-switch-stack

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card