cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do we need to set up ACL rules to deny for devices inside the company?

ciscomdsmagic
Level 1
Level 1

We have NetApp NAS storage inside the company, believe it is already protected by company's firewall which should already restrict all accesses attempted from outside.
Do I still need to create ACL rules to deny incoming packets from Internet, in addition to  from within the company?
I am not a networking guy, if you can please explain to me in details.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not clear from your question exactly what you want the policy to be. It certainly seems that you want to prevent any access to the NAS from any external address. If you trust your firewall to prevent Internet access to the NAS then it is not a requirement to have an ACL to prevent Internet access. But you might want to have an ACL, as a backup to the firewall in case something does get through. And I am not clear what you want about access to NAS from inside resources. Are all inside devices to be allowed access to NAS? If so no ACL is required. But if some devices should not have access then an ACL would be needed.

HTH

Rick

Yes, you kind of answered my questions. Thanks!

As for those accesses from inside resources, not all of them should be allowed to NAS. Now how to create ACL rules and to restrict the access from inside is the hard part. It is already on production and not protected well. Meanwhile, we don't want to restrict any legitimate accesses. 

In general practice, should we just allow accesses based on the list of "commonly used protocol and ports" below, and also based on what are those networks/hosts our inside customer are located, and then at the bottom, deny everything else? Is this an good  approach to start with? The list below (a portion of it) is provided by the NAS vendor. 

Further, should we ask the networking team to provide us the list of all accesses (protocols, sources and destinations) from logs, and create ACL based on that? Is this a good approach also?

Common Used Protocols and Ports.png

Configuring ACL to filter by protocol port is certainly an option. But it makes the configuration more complex and I wonder if it is needed. It seems to me that it would be sufficient to filter by IP address. Either you specify the device addresses/subnets etc that are permitted access and deny everything else. Or you specify device addresses/subnets etc that are to be denied and permit everything else. Your network team may have suggestions about which approach would be better.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card