cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do you think this is a routing issue?

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Three PC and one server are in the same vlan. The three PC can ping each other, and the first and second PC can ping the server, but the third PC cannot ping the server. Do you think this is a layer3 or layer2 issue? Thank you

5 Replies 5

AS all on the same Vlan it is a layer 2 issue, no routing involved.

I agree, but what is wrong with that?

Are all the devices connected to the same switch?

Do the PCs get their IP address through DHCP? < if you give the PC that does not ping the server a different IP will it work? ( give it an address of one that does work)

any Firewall settings on the Server? 

Hello

FYI , routing isn't involved with hosts in the same vlan however try  pinging the 3rd pc from the L3 switch? ( default gateway of another vlan)

Is there any acl or software fw that can be negating access on host/server or switch?

Do you have statically configured network addressing if so check for mis-configuration 

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Look at the third pc as the source of the issue. Validate it has the correct netmask and gateway configured. Check any firewall settings. Check any host settings in the local routing table to see if it is restricted because of host entry.

As others have pointed out, same VLAN on the switch, 2 others work and 1 does not would tell me that this is not on the switch, it could be on the server denying the third pc but I do not think that would be the case, unless it is expecting it to come from a specific network and the third pc is not on that segment.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card