cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does a Router support 2 BGP As in one router

jubair151
Level 1
Level 1

Does a Router support 2 BGP As in one router. I have gone through the below Cisco page, however my router is not allowing to enter the second AS in the router, it is giving the error as usual " BGP is already running; AS is XX" . 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fsbgpdas.html#wp1056689

My Router :- Cisco 3845

IOS Version :- c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T8.bin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can not run multiple BGP processes on a single router with each of them being in a separate AS. What you can do, and the link in your post explains that, is that towards a particular eBGP neighbor, you can use the neighbor local-as command to appear to be in a different AS than the one you really are in. So you do not start two BGP processes, you just make your single BGP process to appear to use a different ASN on a particular eBGP peering.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can not run multiple BGP processes on a single router with each of them being in a separate AS. What you can do, and the link in your post explains that, is that towards a particular eBGP neighbor, you can use the neighbor local-as command to appear to be in a different AS than the one you really are in. So you do not start two BGP processes, you just make your single BGP process to appear to use a different ASN on a particular eBGP peering.

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card