cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does C9200 StackWise Adapter support OIR ?

todd.hsieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does C9200 StackWise Adapter support OIR ?  

Does C9200 StackWise Cable support hot plugin and plugout when power on ?

Thanks!

Todd

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mark,

Thank you. This is really helpful!

Todd

View solution in original post

no problem ,i would still have a quick read of that document link i posted specific to the C9200 hardware and stack cable section for the switch just to be aware of all the risks , ideal situation would be shut it down re cable or add/remove switches and boot it all back up but thats not always an option.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
hi are you just adding another switch to the ring ? if its already formed an you dont break the ring you can add remove cables without dropping whole stack but there is things to watch out for

they can be plugged in while powered up

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/hardware/install/b-c9200-hig/b-c9200l-hig_chapter_010.html

Power off a switch before you add it to or remove it from an existing switch stack. If changes are made to the stack without powering down the switches, the following results can occur:

If two operating partial ring stacks are connected together using a stack cable, a stack merge can take place. This situation reloads the whole stack (all switches in the stack).

If some switches in the stack are completely separated from the stack, a stack split can occur.

A stack split can occur on a full ring stack if:

More than one running switch is removed without powering down.

More than one stack cable is removed without powering down.

A stack split can occur in a partial ring stack if:

A switch is removed without powering down.

A stack cable is removed without powering down.

In a split stack, depending on where the active and standby switches are located, either two stacks might be formed (with the standby taking over as the new active switch in the newly formed stack) or all the members in the newly formed stack might reload.

Hi Mark,

Thank you.

So the stack cable can be plugged and removed when powered up. 

What about the stackwise adapter ?

Can I insert the stackwise adapter when powered up ?

Thanks

Todd

So the stack cable can be plugged and removed when powered up.
Yes but you want to make sure not to remove the full ring cable or it will break the stack

Can I insert the stackwise adapter when powered up ?
Yes thats ok too wont reboot the switch or anything

I would still from experience do this in a proper controlled window in case it does hit an issue
Stacking is scalable so its allowed to remove and add switches while live to prevent having to shut down a whole stack which could be several office floors. In saying that i have added switches in the past to stacks and on rare occasions the stack flipped completely and rebooted so you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best so your covered for accidental outage

Hi Mark,

Thank you. This is really helpful!

Todd

no problem ,i would still have a quick read of that document link i posted specific to the C9200 hardware and stack cable section for the switch just to be aware of all the risks , ideal situation would be shut it down re cable or add/remove switches and boot it all back up but thats not always an option.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card