Helpful
Replies

dot1q trunk from single switch to multiple switches

mark-armstrong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hope you can help please !

I have a single switch with 6 vlans and one trunk port at the main site  This has to connect to a 3 separate locations each with its own switch with a trunked port via a microwave network.

I have run it in packet tracer using a hub as the microwave network.  It works fine in that, I just want to check it would 'actually' work or could it cause problems ?

Diagram from PT below with 3 vlans just for clarification.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Uhhhh ... Who's doing the routing?

Leo, from looking at that diagram it's a L2 configuration.

Martin

Martin, 

I understand it's a Layer 2 config but look at the IP addresses of the hosts, hence why I'm asking.  This is not typical of a network implementation.  I am asking because I want the OP to think.

This is a school-related work.  And I, for one, am not willing to spoon feed answers to someone without letting them think for themselves.  

I did see that, I assumed there was no connectivity required/desired between the networks.

As you say, he needs to ascertain this.

Martin

Sorry, mate.  Didn't want to "pick a fight" with anyone.  

Your interpretation (along with anyone else) is different to mine.  So I guess we do need to ask more questions.   

First of all   'This is not a school related work' Leo Laohoo. There is no conspiracy here, calm yourself down.  

We are loosing quite a few E1 circuits and they are being replaced with only a few ethernet, so we need to conserve them.

It is indeed a L2 network.  The VLANs don't need to communicate with each other and will terminate into a firewall.  I used the PC's on the left as an interface just.

I was concerned about having one trunk port connect to 3 other switches.  I wasn't sure how they would react as I've ever only used trunks point to point.  

Hence why I used the hub in PT to break a single trunk into 3.  I just wasn't sure how the switches would react to this.

smiley Thanks !

Mark

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I agree with Leo.

Basic understanding is needed its pretty simple. This is just layer 2 network and the subnets with the same range works without any issue. But you have will have problem communicating between the vlans and I hope you dont want to do that hence you want only the vlans across the switches to talk to each other and not between them. If that is the case I dont see any reason why this will not work.

Second if we have mis -understood your query please feel free to shoot the queries you have and we will try to help you on the same.

Regards

Inayath

Martin & Inayath, 

I've also noticed that since I've expressed my suspicion about the motive of this thread, the OP has been quiet.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card