cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Double check my interface config, what is the "vpc" line?

AaronJAnderson
Level 1
Level 1

Dual nexus 5010 switches,

Say I'm bringing up a new LACP port for a server, this is what I'd do (on both switches)

interface   port-channel135
description LouPrBdw025
vpc 135
switchport access vlan 14

interface   Ethernet105/1/7

description LouPrBdw025
switchport access vlan 14
channel-group 135 mode active

I understand everything there, and this works, but on the port-channel interface, what is the "vpc 135" line for? is it needed?

2 Replies 2

Karthick Murugan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Aaron,

A virtual port channel (vPC) allows links that are  physically connected to two different Cisco Nexus 7000 Series devices  to appear as a single port channel by a third device.

If it is a normal port-channel then you need not require VPC

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thanks & Regards, Karthick Murugan CCIE#39285

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

According to the IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation standard, an aggregate link (or port-channel in Cisco terminology) is only allowed between two devices e.g., a single switch and a server. This can be used if you want to add additional bandwidth or provide resilience against link failure, but it doesn't provide resilience against a switch failure.

The Cisco vPC (virtual port-channel) is a proprietary mechanism that allows two Cisco Nexus switches to appear to a downstream device as if it's a single switch. This allows the Nexus switches to work as per the IEEE standard, and at the same time adds resilience against a single switch failure.

The vpc command is that which enables this functionality on the port-channel interface of the Nexus switches.

You'll need the command if you're running vPC i.e., the physical links of the aggregate from the downstream device are distributed across both Nexus switches. If you're going to run standard port-channel i.e., all physical links from the downstream device connected to a single Nexus switch, then it's not needed.

There's some other configuration required to run vPC on the Nexus which you should be able to see if you execute the show running vpc command. You'll see feature vpc, vpc domain etc., that must all be configured prior to actually enabling the vpc command on a port-channel interface. If you say this is working then presumably that's already configured.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card