Views
Helpful
Replies

Double Connection

Rafael Mendes
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

My question is related with double connection in switches.

I have one switch connected to other two switches, and i would keep the two active connections, like bellow:

SWITCH1

|          |

|          |

SWITCH 2    SWITCH3

How can I keep the two connections without the spanning tree block one?

Ps: I need maintain layer 2 connections.

Tks a lot.

Rafael

7 Replies 7

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

Rafael,

Since S2 and S3 aren't connected STP won't block any ports.

Even if they where and S1 was the root is would block link between S2<>S3 and both links to S1 would stay active.

HTH.

Chad

As Chad said, there's no loop in the configuration that you have so STP won't block any ports.

HTH,

John

Please rate all useful posts...

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Sorry, i have a connection with S2 and S3.

SWITCH1

|            |

|            |

SWITCH 2---SWITCH3

|

SERVERS

The STP cannot block the S2->S3 Link, it is my communication witch  STP-MST and for my servers connected in two switches(i dont have high availability connection for servers).

How i can maintain the two connections without  block S2-S3 link? Some feature like a FabricPath?

* S2 and S3 are my cores switches

Tks

Fabricpath is only avaliable with the Nexus Platform.  What type of switches are these?

Not sure I understand.  Are you trying to dual-home servers to S2 and S3?  Or just trying to keep all the ISL's forwarding?  For what reason?

If S2<>S3 link is blocked you still have a path end to end via S1.  Or you could change the STP port priority so that say S1<>S3 link gets blocked and all traffic will flow from S3>S2>S1.

HTH

Chad

S2 and S3 are 6509, S1 is a 3750.

I dont have servers in dual-home, each server have only one cable connected to a 6509(S2 or S3).

The connection for S2->S1 is a 1GB lan-to-lan link, the connection for S3-S1 is a 100MB Lan-to-lan Link, the connection for S2 and S3 is a 10GBEthernet Link in my lan, therefore it cannot stay in blocked state.

I would like to maintain the two links, (S2-S1)1GB and (S3-S1)100MB in forward state,

without blocking S2-S3(10GB) connection, its possible?

Say S1 is your root bridge.  The link that would be blocked by default is S1<>S3 since the cost would be higher compared to a 10g and 1g link combined cost.  That would be the prefered path and shouldn't casue you any issues. 

But one has to be blocked or your create a loop. 

If your worried about overloading the S1<>S2 link you could add more links and turn it into an etherchannel.  

HTH.

Chad

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

We featured your question on Facbeook. Check out some of the responses here as well: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSupportCommunity/posts/354427261276179

---

Posted by WebUser Cisco NetPro from Cisco Support Community App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card