Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual WAN Routing

editInsert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am not savvy and will likely have to look up everything that someone suggests I try.  Please have patience with my post and excuse any ignorant requests.

I would like to have two ISPs at my home.  I would like ISP A to service all home connections.  I would like ISP B for business.  I would also like for either ISP network to use the same printer.  

I would like for a fail over for B to A but not A to B.  I have a Cisco SG300 switch and presume I will need to purchase a Dual WAN router.  Do those routers allow for fail over like I am talking about?  I thought that might be accomplished with VLANs.  1 VLAN for home devices, 1 VLAN for the business connectivity, then 1 VLAN for the printer.  

My thought is 

VLAN 10 for home devices, in an ISP A outage, these stop working

VLAN 20 for business devices, in an ISP B outage these fail over to ISP A

VLAN 30 for printing from either of the VLANs

Does this make sense?  Am I making this harder than it needs to be?  Would it just be better to have the business laptop hardwired to ISP B and Wifi to ISP A with printer residing on ISP A network?  I'm thinking this would require the least amount of equipment and would be the least amount of headache due to my ignorance.  What are your thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Let’s say these connections will be internet broadband connections using different ISPs each providing you with 6 viable public ip addresses, The main goal you have is to traffic engineer only your internal vlan 20 network to use both circuits simultaneously and accommodate failover.

@MHM Cisco World  is correct in that policy based routing would be viable along with default routing and network translation.

Basic premise would be:

• A default route pointing to your main ISP1 (this would accommodate vlan 10 users)
  • Policy route vlan 20 via ISP2 if/when ISP2 connection faiils this traffic would failover to ISP1 via the default route
  • Statically network translate vlan 30 printer both to an isp1 & isp2 routable address
  • Dual network translate vlan 20 users.

Please review attached file for a possible solution based on the above assumption;

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

only solution here is 
PBR with set ip next-hop verify.

Hello
Let’s say these connections will be internet broadband connections using different ISPs each providing you with 6 viable public ip addresses, The main goal you have is to traffic engineer only your internal vlan 20 network to use both circuits simultaneously and accommodate failover.

@MHM Cisco World  is correct in that policy based routing would be viable along with default routing and network translation.

Basic premise would be:

• A default route pointing to your main ISP1 (this would accommodate vlan 10 users)
  • Policy route vlan 20 via ISP2 if/when ISP2 connection faiils this traffic would failover to ISP1 via the default route
  • Statically network translate vlan 30 printer both to an isp1 & isp2 routable address
  • Dual network translate vlan 20 users.

Please review attached file for a possible solution based on the above assumption;

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

editInsert
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both very much for your replies.  I think I have some follow up questions now.  Primarily due to my ignorance.  

In the reply from @paul driver there is a section titled basic premise.  I will do my best to find instructions on how to do this.  In the mean time, are you aware of any instructional pieces on accomplishing this?  

Hello @editInsert 
 It isn’t ignorance asking for assistance on a subject your are unfamiliar with.

Let’s start with the basics
what type of:
isp connections do you have
Wan rtr you are using 
any other lan device (switch/rtr)

Kind Regards
Paul

ISP A = Spectrum cable service DHCP

ISP B = ATT DSL phone copper lines I'm guessing this will be DHCP as well.  Typically business class and getting Static is an added cost.

Router = haven't purchased yet but will likely use TP-Link ER 605. 

Switch = Cisco SG300 28PP , is this switch capable of handling two WAN inputs without the need of a router?  I'm guessing no.

APs will be TP link equipment I already have that will be in AP mode.

I prefer TP Link simply for their Tether app, being able to disallow a certain Xbox when needed.  I think the router would be best as DHCP server but am open to suggestions or maybe my specs require different hardware to serve that role.

Hello
with those type of connections i would envisage your wan connections will have already been Natted 
Lastly i would suggest to go for a router preferably supporting NAT and  NAT- traversal (just incase you need to vpn at some point)

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card