cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Arp Inspection (DAI) vs IP Source Guard (IPSG) with Port Security command

tschafferx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco community,

I came across an article that describes IPSG. (https://packetpushers.net/ccnp-studies-configuring-ip-source-guard/).

I am aware of the difference between IPSG and Arp inspection in conjunction with DHCP snooping.

IPSG only checks whether the IP-Address to Port ID is correct / Whereas Dynamic ARP inspection checks for IP to MAC address conformity all based on the snooping table.

My question ist the following: If I configure IPSG regularly and add the following command e.g.:

SW1(config)#int fa0/24
SW1(config-if)#switchport port-security
SW1(config-if)#ip verify source port-security

Doesn't that mean that gratuitous ARP packets will be dropped due to the extra check of the MAC-Address field and therefore IPSG making DAI redundant?

Thank you in advance. 

2 Replies 2

tschafferx
Level 1
Level 1

After some research I could answer the question for myself. For anyone that is interested. Answer below:

IPSG with PortSecurity: First, IPSG looks at the IP-header if there's no such header, nothing will be prevented/dropped.

Second, PortSecurity looks at the layer 2 mac address if the client has obtained an IP address from a trusted DHCP server, then the snooping table references it with the corresponding mac address.

At this point without DAI it would still be possible to perform a ARP spoofing due to the fact, that IPSG with or without the PortSecurity option only looks at the ip header or ethernet (layer 2) mac address with port security enabled.

It does not inspect the malicious ARP package. For that mechanism we need to activate DAI which looks into the ARP package and validates the sender MAC and sender IP in the ARP package.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to add any relevant information!

Hi,

I can't understand it ver well.

It works like a protection redundancy.

I've attacched a picture  with a GNS3 topology, the attack (ip spoofing) from host ATTACKER3 will be  mitigated by DAI configuration on SW1 because its ip not exist on ip snooping database, all this without any IPSG configuration.

Do I miss something? 

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card