cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic or static Routing over vPC supported?

sal-mahmood1
Level 1
Level 1

Dynamic or static Routing over vPC  supported? Need to configure it in order to support NSX.

7 Replies 7

Yachay
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure what you exactly are looking for, but I recommend you to read the following articles:

https://www.netcraftsmen.com/designing-vpc-and-routing/

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you explain what you are trying to do?

We have servers connected to nexus7K through enhanceVPC. Now there is need to extend L2 to another data-center where we don't have nexus7K - so we need to uses NSX to do that. For that we need to run routing protocol (dynamic or static) between NSX router and Nexus7Ks. We are using F3 linecards and running SW version 7.2.2.

Are using VMware NSX? if yes, both  NSX and the 7k support routing protocols as well as static routes.

So, that should not be an issue.

HTH

Yes NSX virtual router  and N7K support routing but the question is whether routing supported over vpc. If the connections are through over non-vpc then there is no problem.

Yachay
Level 1
Level 1

I am attaching Cisco's recommendation.

That’s one thing about the Cisco forums that irritates me. No one ever wants to proved a real cutdown educated answer. They just refer documents. It’s easy to throw whitepapers I guess than rather EXPLAIN in your own words. It shows a real lack of technical understanding of one cannot convey and break down a concept.

It’s a simple question. If the core be it a Nexus 7k pair running 7.2 to a end-host, can an NSX edge router dynamically route to the SVI over VPC. Historically it’s been unsupported and VMWare/Cisco documents mention Cisco not supporting dynamic routing over VPC yet Cisco in other docs states with XYZ version it is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card