cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Switch Routing

Douglas Turner
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a 3750 with a router provided from Time Warner. I am unable to access the internet from any devices and I believe it is from the IP address changing on the router. How can I configure the switch to maintain the connectivity?

5 Replies 5

The ISP supplied router should do the NAT for you.

can you get to the internet if you plug a device directly into the router?

do your devices pickup an IP address from the router?

and what is the config of the 3750?

Thank you for your response and assistance.

I am able to access the internet with a direct connection and all devices receive an IP

On each fast Ethernet port I have created vlan 3 with switchport access.

gig1 is currently no switchport because I have been trying to follow other instructions that didn't work.

interface Vlan3
 ip address 192.168.0.30 255.255.255.0
!
ip default-gateway 192.168.0.1
ip classless
ip http server
ip http secure-server

Is Gig1 the uplink to your TWC router? If so, you should set to to be an access port just like the fast Ethernet ports. Edit: it should also be a part of vlan 3 as well.

This is what I had set up before I made changes.

interface FastEthernet1/0/24
 switchport access vlan 3
 switchport mode access
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 switchport access vlan 3
 switchport mode access
!
all of the fast Ethernet ports are the same. gig 1/0/2 is not being used so it is not configured.

Which interface of the switch connects to the Time Warner router?

If you connect a PC to one of the switch ports what IP address does it get? And what does it get as the default gateway address?

If you connect a PC to one of the switch ports can the PC ping the switch address of 192.168.0.30?

If you connect a PC to one of the switch ports can the PC ping the default gateway at 192.168.0.1?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card