cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dynamic vlans

michaelrenne
Level 1
Level 1

can someone explain to me how dynamic vlans function on a stack of 3750s? i currently have dell equipment and the vlan assignments time out after 5 minutes and default to native setting. supposedly, the switch will see activity when a computer is in use again and re-assign the vlan. this is very inconsistent!! i set this up in one building and 40% of the desktops had connection issues. i'm curious if the 3750s function differently as far as the time out and if i can tell the switch confirm what is plugged into its ports so they don't lose their vlan assignment. thanks!!

2 Replies 2

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

With VLAN Membership Policy Server (VMPS), you can assign switch ports to VLANs dynamically, based on the source MAC address of the device connected to the port. When you move a host from a port on one switch in the network to a port on another switch in the network, the switch dynamically assigns the new port to the proper VLAN for that host. For more information please click following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00801cc828.shtml#conf

how does the switch handle idle devices on ports? does it timeout and remove the assigned vlan? does it talk to the devices at certain intervals to see what is the other end? does it do nothing until it sees a new hardware address?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card