cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E3200 Not resolving DNS for DHCP Clients

jplynker12
Level 1
Level 1

I like to remote into a number of machines on my home network. I prefer to do this by name of the machine rather than having to look up it's IP in the router's client table every time.

When I try to remote in using a computer's name that is DHCP assigned, I get DNS resolution error. When I remote using IP for a DHCP client, it works.

Also, when I remote into a machine which has a static IP that is in the DHCP Reservations list, it works.

Do I have to effectively defeat DHCP by applying static IP addresses or reserving them in the DHCP table to have DNS work within my network?

Note that the E3200's LAN IP address was appearing last in the list of DNS servers so I placed it in DNS1 so that it now appears first in the list of DNS servers given to DHCP clients.

While running DD-WRT on my WRT610N, this all worked just great. I'd run DD-WRT on the E3200, but they don't support the 5Ghz channels (appearantly because Cisco is not releasing the drivers?..so they claim)... I would just like my DNS to work as expected... and I think DNS should be aware of the DHCP client table in a home router.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card