cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Easy way to erase a router's config & reload an IOS? Dont know passwords..

amarranca
Level 1
Level 1

I've been given a couple of 3640 routers, one of them had no config and I was able to work with it. The other 3640 had some config on there and heres what I've done so far.

*Change config regsiter and booted up to access the startup config.

*Copied all data

*Whenever I do the command "copy start run" I get some weird memory dump issues (but that is besides the point) and I cant change any data or do any commands.

I want to erase the router and put a new IOS on it. I dont know any passwords how do I do this easily? Im guessing a simple config register change from within ROMON mode????

Anyone have a how to: for me????

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

Have a look at this link for step by step instructions for password recovery

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml#topic1

Once you are done with password recovery you can just delete all the configs from router upgrade the IOS and put the new configs.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

I've already done that.................

In my post I mentioned that when I do the command

"copy startup-config running-config" (to copy the nonvolatile RAM NVRAM)

Im no longer able to do any commands in the router due to the following memory error

***%AAAA-3-INVSTATE: unknown AUTHOR/CMD: Internal state is invalid: astruct 0x6199F0C0 ustruct 0x0

-Traceback= 602705F0 60270498 602AE6C4 602AF5D0 602BB65C 6030AC64 6030AC50***

So...........Without doing password recovery how do I wipe the routers config and keep the IOS??? Or how do I wipe the config and reload the IOS???

If you do the parts of password recovery that deal with accessing the router, setting the config register to 0x2142, and booting the router you will have wiped the config and kept the IOS. You do not need to do the other parts of password recovery. Once you have wiped the config and booted the router be sure to set the config register back to its normal value (probably 0x2102).

In looking at the error that you describe, this part (%AAAA-3-INVSTATE) seems to indicate that the error is generated in AAA. We do not know what is in the existing config, but I believe that it is something in the existing config that is causing your problem and not some inherent problem in the router.

Try just setting the config register to 0x2142 and booting the router and let us know if that worked.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Do what rburts says to do. The main reason you are getting an error is because you are just loading the original config back into memory. Instead of doing

copy startup-config running-config reverse it or just do a "write mem" This will save the running to startup then make sure you change the config registry back to 0x2102. Then when you reload you will have everything the way you want.

A default config that you can work with, the IOS untouched and the registry back to normal.

HTH, Rate if it helps you.

Mike

ok thanks, now that I think about the scenario.

DUH!

Thanks all

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card