Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP 'auto-summary' command in current ROUTE exam

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am sitting my ROUTE exam in two days and wanted to confirm whether I am expected to know whether the 'auto-summary' command (and autosummarization behaviour is enabled OR disabled by default in EIGRP?

I have never used EIGRP outside of my lab at home (old IOSs) and it is definitely enabled. I am using a wide variety of material to study with (potentially out of date) and almost everyone says that EIGRP autosummarizes at classful boundaries by default.

Although it seems like old news that it is now disabled by default!!

Cisco IOS Release 15.0(1)M, 12.2(33)SRE, 12.2(33)XNE, Cisco IOS XE
Release 2.5, Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SXI4 and Later Releases

The behavior of this command is disabled by default (the software sends
subprefix routing information across classful network boundaries).

Much appreciated,

Brett

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Brett,

The material you are reading is true - in recent IOSes, the automatic summarization in EIGRP is turned off. However, I suppose that the ROUTE exam you will be sitting for will still assume that older EIGRP code is being used, meaning the autosummarization is on by default. Frankly, the exams probably are not refreshed so vigorously to capture the most recent development in IOSes. In any case, be cautious about the context of the message. I believe that will help you understand if you should suppose that older or newer IOS versions are in the focus of the message.

Good luck on your exam! Please let us know how you did at the exam!

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Brett,

The material you are reading is true - in recent IOSes, the automatic summarization in EIGRP is turned off. However, I suppose that the ROUTE exam you will be sitting for will still assume that older EIGRP code is being used, meaning the autosummarization is on by default. Frankly, the exams probably are not refreshed so vigorously to capture the most recent development in IOSes. In any case, be cautious about the context of the message. I believe that will help you understand if you should suppose that older or newer IOS versions are in the focus of the message.

Good luck on your exam! Please let us know how you did at the exam!

Best regards,

Peter

Yeah its a hard one. I've come across practice questions that have assumed both scenarios All good; hopefully I get a bit of a hint as to what is expected. Just have to be careful as you said.

Thanks for the wishes, will definitely let you know how I go!

Regards,

Brett

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card