Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Network Statement not advertising static

Darren Sasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having a problem advertising a static route into EIGRP with the network command.  I thought i would put this out there to see if anyone has encountered this problem before i open a TAC case since i'm suspecting it to be code related.  I'm able to advertise the network via redistributing static without issue.  I'm not using any route filtering what so ever.  As a test i went to another layer 3 device running EIGRP at the same campus and was able to advertise the route via a network statement.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

8 Replies 8

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Darren, you can not advertise a static route with the network statement. Its not a connected subnet. You will have to use redistribution.

Lets say I had this route

Ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.1

And I need to advertise this out, I'd do this:

Router eigrp 1
redistribute connected route-map Test
default-metric 10000 1 255 1 1500

access-list 10 permit 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

route-map Test permit 10
match ip address 10

This way I am only advertising out the 10 network. Same can be achieved with the use of a prefix list.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

The network command won't work because all the network command does, is enable the EIGRP process on the matching interface that has an IP matching in the network statement.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/iproute/command/reference/1rfeigrp.html#wp1031063

Usage Guidelines
There is no limit to the number of network commands you can use on the router.
IGRP or EIGRP sends updates to the interfaces in the specified networks. Also, if the network of an interface is not specified, it will not be advertised in any IGRP or EIGRP update.
The network mask can be as specific as the interface mask.

Examples
The following example configures a router for EIGRP and assigns autonomous system 1. The network commands indicate the networks directly connected to the router.
router eigrp 1
network 172.16.0.0
network 192.168.7.0

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi,

take a look at this post: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2001720

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello Alain, Thank you for telling me about this post... I learnt something new! 5*

I will test this now.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

That proved correct. The post that Alain pointed out is a very good read! If you have a static route, pointing towards a directly connected interface, it is treated like an attached network.

i.e.

if you have for example ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 null 0

and under the EIGRP process you do this:

router eigrp 1

network 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.0

This will advertise out the 1.1.1.1 network and is seen on the other side:

R1:

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252

duplex auto

speed auto

!

router eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0

network 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.0

no auto-summary

!

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 Null0

R2:

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252

duplex auto

speed auto

!

router eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.2 0.0.0.0

=====================================================

R2#show ip route

Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP

i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area

* - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR

P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

1.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets

D       1.1.1.1 [90/28160] via 10.0.0.1, 00:10:56, FastEthernet0/0

10.0.0.0/30 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C       10.0.0.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0

So it seems like as long as a route is pointing towards an interface then it will be advertised.

Thanks again Alain :-)

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thanks for everyones comments i appreciate the feedback.  I did read the above post before (tried to do some research before just posting) and tried to utilize a next hop of connected and IP.  Neither option would advertise the network.  I guess i'll open a tac case since it may be code related.

Thanks everyone.

If it is a static route why don't you just redistribute it with the static option under EIGRP? 

I need the route to be internal not external.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card