Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP route not being promoted.

Hi all,

I have OSPF and EIGRP being mutually redistributed on two routers. Because OSPF distance is less than the redistributed EIGRP route, the OSPF route is loaded into the RIB. 

However, when I change the OSPF distance to 180 or lower the EIGRP distance to below 110, the OSPF route remains in the RIB, UNTIL I shut/no shut the route, clear the OSPF process, or reload the router. I have never seen this before, that routes stick until an additional event.

Is this something that can happen, and is there a less severe process to refresh the RIB with the new values?

I've not supplied much detail here but can do if necessary.

Thanks

Adrian

3 Replies 3

Hi Adrian, 

Could you please share the config? The lowest administrative distance is always preferred. 

If you redistribute OSPF routes into EIGRP, the EIGRP routers will see the routes with AD 170, and if you redistribute EIGRP routes into OSPF, the OSPF routers will see the routes with AD 110 (no changes) but the metric-type by default will be E2.

Also do you have any diagram to understand the topology?

Thank you in advance. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,

That's weird, I have come back to it today, and now it works. As soon as I change the AD of OSPF to 171, the eigrp route gets promoted to the RIB, and everything works. Perhaps I was doing something wrong last night. Thanks for your input in any case.

Adrian

Hi,

Im glad to heard that, yes OSPF with AD 171, EIGRP routes will be preferred.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card