Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable communication between different vlan in the same switch

PdhineshK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,.

We have a Cisco nexus switch 3064 running on different vlan.We need the host connected between the VLAN should communication

Eg: Vlan 1 host need to communicate to Vlan 2 host in the same switch.

To achieve above scenario can we enable ip routing command is eough in the switch?

If we enable ip routing command any other impact in the exsiiting connectivity ?

Please advise 

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You'll need to configure a layer 3 interfaces in each vlan, and ensure the two hosts have a default gateway pointing to their respecitive layer 3 interface.

Thanks Philip for the update

yes i already configured ip address in the both VLAN and hosts are having the default gateway pointing to respective VLAN IP address but still not pinging.

Do you want me to enable ip routing command to achieve the connectivity ?

Hello,

without wanting to be redundant, this is what you need (IP addresses are arbitrary obviously):

3064#conf t
3064(config)#feature interface-vlan
3064(config)#ip routing
3064(config)#interface vlan 1
3064(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
3064(config-if)#exit
3064(config)#interface vlan 2
3064(config-if)#ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

Thanks for the update.

Is there anyway in the switch to check the ip routing already enabled or not?

Hi @PdhineshK ,

Q: Do you want me to enable ip routing command to achieve the connectivity ?

A: The ip routing command enables the layer 3 functions of the switch. For example, if before entering that command you try to check the routing table (show ip route) it does not give you any results, because the switch does not have that capacity yet.

To add a detail, you must ensure that the VLANs associated with the interface vlan exist in the switch, because the SVI will only go to UP with this condition.

Also, try disabling the PC firewall, since it sometimes blocks the ping of neighboring networks.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card