cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Operational Auto Negotiation on a Cisco SG300-10P

GB832
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my issue, I have a Cisco SG300-10P switch. Currently, Operational Auto Negotiation is disabled. I've tried going in through the GUI and enabling this via Port Management > Port Settings, then by selecting the corresponding port>Edit Port Setting. However, "Operational Auto Negotiation" is disabled and I'm unable to toggle the Auto Negotiation check box because it is grayed out . Is there another way for me to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe,

I was able to determine that the reason that the Auto Negotiation is grayed and Operational Auto Negotiation is currently disabled is due to a hardware limitation. On the switch, under Administration>Diagnostics>Optical Module Status> the module installed is listed as 100M Base-FX Mini-GBIC SFP Transceiver. Thank you again for your help.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello GB832,

just to understand is the port member of a bundle ?

Currently it is working at 100 Mbps full duplex, it is this fine for you or not?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

The port is not a member of a bundle.

I am attempting to set the port to work at 1000 Mbps full duplex.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Giuseppe,

I was able to determine that the reason that the Auto Negotiation is grayed and Operational Auto Negotiation is currently disabled is due to a hardware limitation. On the switch, under Administration>Diagnostics>Optical Module Status> the module installed is listed as 100M Base-FX Mini-GBIC SFP Transceiver. Thank you again for your help.

Hello GB832,

nice to hear you have find out the root cause of the speed limitation to 100 Mbps.

It is a question of the optics used.

Also when using an SFP you cannot use autonegotiation because their speed is hardcoded and duplex is full because they use two fibers for TX and RX.

You have been kind to provide feedback on this.

You would have the same issue also on IOS based switches when putting an SFP for 100 Mbps speed.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card