Views
Helpful
Replies

erase the VTP Domain server

Natha340Mai340
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a VTP domain server on my core Catalyst 4005 and unfortunately this core will be replaced for other vendor switch core. but the access switch will are keep on in the network.

so... I have a doubts about my vtp domain:

if a switch that it is a client vtp go to down , a quiet electric reboot, when it come to up and doesn't find a vtp server it lost all vlans learned by vtp before ?

there is an way keep on thats vlans ( already learned by vtp )  on these access switches without vtp domain ?

I've hear through a old book that clients vtp don't save data base vlan in the memory flash but I has never done test about.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

the old book is correct for old IOSes.

Current IOSes keep the VLAN info also on VTP clients. You just can't modify the VLAN info on the VTP client.

So if you want to keep your VTP domain,  the easiest way would be changing one of your clients to a VTP server before removing the core switch. And the new switch would learn the VTP info from the old ones (as Fabio said, it should even work without a server but having a VTP server available all the time is the safest way).

But if the new switch is not a Cisco one, it will not support VTP (Cisco proprietary).

So you will have to leave the VTP domain anyway, I'm afraid.

And as Fabio said, the safest way is to change all  switches to VTP transparent.

Just check the IOS version before doing so (and test with one switch only for sure). If you were running some very old IOS, you could really lose your VLAN info.

HTH,

Milan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maicon,

No you will not loose your vlans. The safest thing to do is to move all VTP clients to Transparent mode. (that will erase the revision number to 0).

In theory you could deploy the core and syncronize the vlans from clients VTP to the core provided that the revision number in the core is lower than the VTP clients.

HTH

Fabio

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

the old book is correct for old IOSes.

Current IOSes keep the VLAN info also on VTP clients. You just can't modify the VLAN info on the VTP client.

So if you want to keep your VTP domain,  the easiest way would be changing one of your clients to a VTP server before removing the core switch. And the new switch would learn the VTP info from the old ones (as Fabio said, it should even work without a server but having a VTP server available all the time is the safest way).

But if the new switch is not a Cisco one, it will not support VTP (Cisco proprietary).

So you will have to leave the VTP domain anyway, I'm afraid.

And as Fabio said, the safest way is to change all  switches to VTP transparent.

Just check the IOS version before doing so (and test with one switch only for sure). If you were running some very old IOS, you could really lose your VLAN info.

HTH,

Milan

Thanks Fabio and Milan.

As my new core switch isn't a Cisco. I Think I will be removed the VTP domain and change the access switches to transparent mode.

theory when I change the clients vtp to transparent mode these don't loses all Vlans right?? so I can save configuration and reboot it for a test.

thanks

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

No worries at all Maicon.

Please mark as answered.

Cheers,

Fabio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card