Views
Helpful
Replies

err-disabled psecure-violation on 9300 switch

jaketheape
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am getting the above message on 2x interfaces on my switch. There are only single devices at the end of the port i.e a Dell PC and a printer. All other interfaces work fine with sticky mac apart from these 2x that go into secure violation. 

Things I've checked:

Replaced network cable, updated nic driver on nic, ensured there are no VMs running on the PC, checked for duplicate mac addresses, removed bpduguard, increased mac address max. I upgraded IOS from 16.12.3a to 17.3.5 looking at bugs tool thinking it was a bug but still have the same problem.

I cant see any flapping on the port and when i remove the sticky mac commands all works fine and checking with show interface cmd there is nothing I see wrong.

Before I go to TAC I wondered if anyone else had any issues with sticky mac. I used the following command on my switchport:

switchport port-security
switchport port-security maximum 1 
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security violation shutdown

spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

share the mac address of PC 
show port-security address 
show mac-address table 
in both case when sticky and without sticky 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

share the mac address of PC 
show port-security address 
show mac-address table 
in both case when sticky and without sticky 

Thankyou! I used the show port-security address command and could see the mac address was stuck to another port. It seems like unbeknown to me the device had moved from one port to another, leaving the mac on the other port. When I removed sticky mac off what I though was the troubled port, then reinstated it would always go into violation. That I know now was because the mac address was stuck on another port. I removed the mac from the other port and its been fine since. Thankyou for your help.

You are so so welcome 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card