Error copy flash to tftp

Rebekah03
Level 1
Level 1
This is the error:
Switch#copy flash tftp:
Source filename []? c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.0.13
Destination filename [c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin]?
%Error opening tftp://192.168.0.13/c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin (Timed out)
Switch#ping 192.168.0.13
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.0.13, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/8 ms
This is one of the error that I'm getting with attempts to backup my ios to tftp server on my PC. Not sure of the source to the issue, but I like to correct it and understand why I'm having this problem.  
This is the dir info:
Switch#dir
Directory of flash:/
    2  -rwx    13011760   Mar 1 1993 00:15:53 +00:00  c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin
    4  -rwx        1938   Mar 1 1993 00:01:55 +00:00  private-config.text
    5  -rwx        3096   Mar 1 1993 00:01:55 +00:00  multiple-fs
    6  -rwx        2515   Mar 1 1993 00:01:55 +00:00  config.text
15998976 bytes total (2977792 bytes free
Need some help.
Thanks,
Deverick
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

%Error opening tftp://192.168.0.13/c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin (Timed out)

"Timed out" means that either the IP address is not there (or blocked) or TFTP daemon is not active.  

View solution in original post

Wonderfull. Glad to hear that and we are happy to help you on teh same.

Could I ask a favour could you please rate all the posts which are helpfull and mark the thread as "answered" so that we dont leave this in open state?

So that it would be benefited to other guys who are facing similar issue in future.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Inayath

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Deverick

You have showed us that the file name on the switch is valid and does exist in flash. And you have showed us that there is IP connectivity between the switch and 192.168.0.13. My first question would be whether you are sure that the TFTP service was running on 192.168.0.13 at the time that you try the tftp?

My second question is whether 192.168.0.13 is a locally connected device or whether it is a remotely connected device? If it is remote connected is there any chance that there is a security policy which does allow ping but does not allow tftp?

My third question would be whether there might be any firewall or other security policy on 192.168.0.13 that is preventing tftp?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard,

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, the tftp server was ruuning on 192.168.0.13.

Locally connected device is my PC.

I look at firewall setting on PC, and this is okay. Also, I checked setting on a router/modem/wireless router with tftp accepted or better allowed.

I tired another tftp server on another PC. I able to ping the switch from the computer and from the switch to the PC not able to ping the adapter to that PC which the tftp server in bound too.

Very good step that you gave me, but I have to fixed yet.

regards,

Deverick

Lets Summarize:

- PC(TFTP service running(services-tftp-running))----------f0/1---Switch

192.168.0.13 -----------------------------------------------------------------192.168.0.x

Laptop --- Switch ==> Ping success

Switch ----Laptop ==> Ping success >>>>> this gives us info that our layer 1 is good.

2-

Now move on nextL-

Laptop :- Disabled the Anti-virus ==> Done

If you are using Solarwind check the tftp server binding  x.x.x.x/32 as the mask==>

( Make sure you put the same subnet as the tftp server ip and switch interface ip as x.x.x.x

==> check the directory"C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\TFTP Server\SolarWinds TFTP Server.exe".

3-
Last check the source on the router interface to make sure you have correct interface mapped:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_book/cf_f1.html#wp1011436

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hi Inayath,

I double checked... It was driving me crazy! I checked programs and features/turn windows features on or off, and checked telnet client and tftp client, then reboot one PC. I was able to ping the PC and copy flash to tftp server. Always the simple things.

Not working on my laptop, but I know where to look.

Thanks to the both of you Richard and Inayath!

Wonderfull. Glad to hear that and we are happy to help you on teh same.

Could I ask a favour could you please rate all the posts which are helpfull and mark the thread as "answered" so that we dont leave this in open state?

So that it would be benefited to other guys who are facing similar issue in future.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Inayath

Richard,

I give you a five on rating, sorry I hit first star thinking I do that one by one.

Thank you for the great guidance!

Deverick

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with Richard.

Try the following:

1- Make sure the TFTP is pinging  >> its pinging in your setup.

2- Try using TFTPD32 software for TFTP

3- Check if there is any firewall issue or tftp application on the computer

4- Make sure your TFTP server is turned on.

5- Check the file extension, If possbile copy the exact file extension from TFTP server file and paste on the router.

6- Last option would be  source the router interface for tftp which is described in the below link:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_book/cf_f1.html#wp1011436

HTH

Regards

Inayath

****Please do not forget to rate all the usefull posts********

Inayath,

Thank you!

I tried all advice with know success. I cannot ping the adapter on my PC with the tftp server. I tried with switch and router with crossover cable in this case, but still cannot ping the tftp server. It is on. etc....

Thanks,

Deverick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Timed out" means that either the IP address is not there (or blocked) or TFTP daemon is not active.  

Not able to ping the tftp server for sure.... I can ping all only address from the PC with the tftp server and I can ping the switch native vlan ip, gateway, but I cannot get to the adapter with the tftp server ip address.

I have checked the router if it is not allow tftp, but this checks out find.

Deverick Durham

Removed

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card