Views
Helpful
Replies

error disabled recovery

vishalpatil86
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have enabled error disbled recovery with time interval of 600 seconds on my 2960 switch.

What exactly this command does? Pls explain

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Errdisable recovery attempts to bring up an interface that went into an err-disabled state. There are many reasons that a port will go into err-disable, but if you don't use the recovery feature, you have to manually shut the port and bring it back up.

I believe you'll need to specify a cause for errdisable recovery though. The test that I did showed that all causes were disabled until I actually specified the cause of the err-disabled state.

(config)#errdisable recovery cause ?

all        Enable timer to recover from all causes

bpduguard  Enable timer to recover from bpdu-guard error disable state

dtp-flap   Enable timer to recover from dtp-flap error disable state

link-flap  Enable timer to recover from link-flap error disable state

pagp-flap  Enable timer to recover from pagp-flap error disable state

rootguard  Enable timer to recover from root-guard error disable state

udld       Enable timer to recover from udld error disable state

Here's a link stating the causes of err-disable:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml#topic3

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

hi john,

thanks fo rthe reply, link was useful..

just wanna ask one more thing

I set time interval of 600 secs.

does it mean that after 10 mins, port will be up and it will give me reason also?

Vishal,

It means that it will try to recover the port if it was put in the errdisable state by one of the causes that are monitored. I believe errdisable is going to give you a log message like below:

Error Message    PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: [chars] error detected on [chars], putting [chars] 
in err-disable state.

Explanation    This message means that the port manager detected a misconfiguration or misbehavior  and placed the interface in an error-disabled state. A recovery is attempted after the configured retry  time (the default is 5 minutes). The first [chars] is the error, and the second and third [chars] are the  affected interfaces.

Recommended Action    Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log.  Enter the show tech-support privileged EXEC command to gather data that might provide  information about the error. If you cannot determine the nature of the error from the error message  or from the show tech-support command display, call your Cisco technical support representative,  and provide the representative with the gathered information.

Error Message    PM-4-ERR_RECOVER: Attempting to recover from [chars] err-disable state on [chars].

Explanation    This message means that the port manager is attempting to bring the interface up after  taking it down to the error-disabled state. The first [chars] is the error, and the second [chars] is the  affected interface.

Recommended Action    Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log.  Enter the show tech-support privileged EXEC command to gather data that might provide  information about the error. If you cannot determine the nature of the error from the error message  or from the show tech-support command display, call your Cisco technical support representative,  and provide the representative with the gathered information.

thanks john...

it helped me a lot

Glad to hear it...

John

Please rate useful posts...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card