Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether channel configuration issue

ullasupendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I am finding a strange config issue in my cisco WS-C6513 switch while i try to create a L2 etherchannel with my production server.The IOS version is (c6sup2_rp-JK2O3SV-M), Version 12.1(27b)E4 .

the config coomands i tried for the ether channel is as follows .I can see that the Po30 is auto matically negotiated to dot1q trunk, which i didnt really configured.

Router#sh ether sum | in Po30

30 Po30(SU) - Gi11/36(P) Gi11/37(P)

Router#sh run int gi11/36

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 128 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet11/36

switchport

switchport access vlan 139

switchport mode access

channel-group 30 mode on

end

Router#sh run int gi11/37

Current configuration : 128 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet11/37

switchport

switchport mode access

channel-group 30 mode on

end

Router#sh run int po30

Current configuration : 173 bytes

!

interface Port-channel30

description PortChannel-30 to DSSACS1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode access

end

My doubt is , is this normal ? or is this an issue? I dont need the dot1q encapsulaion that is coming automatically.Kindly advice.

Kind regards

Ullas

5 Replies 5

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

The only thing I can think of is that at Po30 existed before. It looks like it was used for something that was trunked. The encapsulation type will not go away even after you change the port to access.

hi

I was also thinking the same and i configured a new channel .Still the problem exists.Is this a IOS bug or something?

Ullas

You got me on that one. We're running 12.2 and have not had any issues like this. Our physical interfaces are set to desirable instead of on. That's the only difference as far as configuration.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think the command is just there , don't think it can actually be trunking if the channel is switchport mode access, really just cosmetic . Verify with a "show int trunk" command and see if the port channel is actually trunking or not , don't think it can be if its a

access port.

I verified it .the port channel is not trunking. I have some reachability issues with the server connected to this port channel. So i was curious abt ths trunk command.I have another cat6513 swith with an IOS Version 12.1(22)E2 which dont have this issue at all.This problem is found in an IOS Version 12.1(27b)E4 which is a latest release.Do you guys think is this an added feature in this version or A BUG?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco