cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel and PortChannel

cbenenhaley
Level 1
Level 1

What exactly is the functional difference between EtherChannel and PortChannel?  I thought they were one-in-the-same...  Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I don't believe there is a functional difference.

Etherchannel is what Cisco called Ethernet link bond way back.  Portchannel is the interface name often used on current equipment to support Etherchannel.

Just making sure...Thanks!

Greg Smalley
Level 1
Level 1

Etherchannel is a term used by Cisco to describe a link aggregation.  Port-channel is the name of Cisco's virtual interface for the purpose of Link aggregation.  Both these terms are often interchanged to describe the same thing "link aggregation".  For an example, on IOS the command to show your link aggregates is "show etherchannel summary" however on Nexus the command is "show port-channel summary".  

As far as type of link aggregates, you can create EtherChannels using PAgP, LACP, or static on.  PAgP being Cisco's proprietary protocol and LACP being the open standard.

-Smalley

I figured as much, but I wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card