cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel ping issues

ohlmichael
Level 1
Level 1

When I have etherchannel configured on a 2960S with two ports in the group and both cables connected, I am unable to ping some network servers and switches while others will ping fine.  If I disconnect one of the cables, I am able to ping all network switches and servers that would not ping prior.  Ideas?

Configuration on Switch:

Interface Port-channel3

Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/9

channel-group 3 mode on

Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10

channel-group 3 mode on

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What does " show etherchannel summary" tells when you've got both cables attached ?

I suggest you change the mode from on to active on both  sides and do the show command again  and test your ping.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What does " show etherchannel summary" tells when you've got both cables attached ?

I suggest you change the mode from on to active on both  sides and do the show command again  and test your ping.

Regards

Alain

Alain,

Pushing them to active seemed to do the trick.  Would the run better in passive?  What's the benefit of one over the other?

Usually between switches you configure one side as active and the other side as passive.  Al though, for newer platforms like the 5k and 7k series they recommend active/active.  The difference is that which ever side is configured as active initiate protocol negotiation versus passive side just waits for active to hear from.

Have a look at table-11-2 in this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/EtherChannel.html#wp1160773

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card