cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ethernet cable to SFP+ port?

silver64317
Level 1
Level 1

I did some googling about the industry standard about modules, cables...etc, however, I still couldn't solve my doubts.

Would like to know is it possible to use any converter between Ethernet CAT 1G/10G cable and a switch with SFP+ interface?

(trying to connect some 1GbE and 10GbE RJ45 server NIC to a switch's SFP+ interface)

I noticed that the "Fiber to Ethernet Converters" may help, however, it is a device not a transceiver.

does anyone know how to solve the connection problem between CAT cable and SFP+ port?

thanks in advance!!

hope my question isn't so ridiculous..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

so, is it doable to connect server NIC such as Intel I350 ethernet adapter to 3850-24XS-E switch's SFP+ ports through the "rj45-to-sfp transceiver" ? would it be easier using the transceiver instead of media converter to bridge the rj45 and sfp?

Yes, defiantly this is another possibility. Actually, this is a better solution than media converter as long as the NIC support it.

I get most of my optics from fs.com. Their products works well, compatible with Cisco and very reasonably priced. If you can't find it online, you may have to call them and order it.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the server is copper and the switch is fiber than all you need is a media converter to convert from copper to fiber.

server-----copper-----M/C-----fiber-----switch

I have used many MC from Transition Networks and they all work well. You just have to look for the one that is for your setup. You can also get them as Amazon if they are available.

here is a link:

https://www.transition.com/products/media-converters/sfmff1314-220/

HTH

Hi Reza,

thanks for the suggestion on using converter!!~~

but i just discovered that there's "rj45-to-sfp transceiver" which is basically the same as this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/10G-SFP-Transceiver-module-Cisco/dp/B088ZPDJZQ

so, is it doable to connect server NIC such as Intel I350 ethernet adapter to 3850-24XS-E switch's SFP+ ports through the "rj45-to-sfp transceiver" ? would it be easier using the transceiver instead of media converter to bridge the rj45 and sfp?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Hi,

Yes, defiantly this is another possibility. Actually, this is a better solution than media converter as long as the NIC support it.

I get most of my optics from fs.com. Their products works well, compatible with Cisco and very reasonably priced. If you can't find it online, you may have to call them and order it.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card