cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend wifi range using router

eximbank-it
Level 1
Level 1

In my company we have a LAN network and a WIFI network using Cisco WLC. There are some areas in the company where the wifi signal is weak. What is the best and secure way to extend the WIFI signal there. I was planning to attach a Router to one of the LAN cable there and beam the signal. Is this a good practice? Please suggest.

Thank you.

10 Replies 10

CSCO12540163
Level 1
Level 1

The best thing is to add another AP or change the place of one or more AP's to a better places.

Checkout the floor-plan (if you have it) and try to see if there is "dark-places" in the floor.

My opinion to you is to add another AP and the WLC knows by the RRM to adjust the signals so you will get full access from any corner.

Thank you for responding. Company bosses are unwilling to install another AP due to high cost as the affected area is small and concern only a couple of users. So what would you recommend if I cannot install AP.

hi,

try do do a wifi/site survey and see if there's any obstructions or materials that 'weaken' the wifi signal.

simply adding an AIR-CAP AP will get more wifi coverage or use a switch instead to connect/extend an AP rather than a router would solve the issue.

Thank you for answering. I cannot add more AP as the WLC has reached it max capabilities of AP. So what would be the best way to extend the wifi range?

if it only concerns a couple of users and your WLC AP license have already maxed out, then go for a switch (maybe an 8-port switch) and use 'wired' connections.

Unfortunately it wont work as need connectivity for mobile devices like ipad, iphones etc. Thank you for helping out. So the way I see it, I am left with using router as a repeater or just use wifi extender. Is that right?

You could do that (preferably an AP though) BUT this should be considered an exception, rather than the norm. The reason is it makes management difficult and it would have to be done, independently of the rest of your WLAN.

A repeater could be an option, but these have limitations and I could never get them to work with Cisco WLAN's, they seem to drop connections, or at least mine did.

Martin

Thank you for your help. I went with the option of using the router as it was the only feasible option in the current situation. But like you guys have said it is not a good option from the point of view of security and management as well as all the users that are connecting to the router are using the same IP address so if some breach happens I would not know which machine did it. Or is there any way to track the different users connecting to it and making them accountable?

It sounds like a configuration issue (hence why I stated you should use an AP) 

Is the router assigning the addresses by any chance? 

Martin

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Any sort of repeater you buy which is not designed to work with the existing AP/WLC setup is likely not going to work well but its up to you.

You could try this approach and end up spending a smaller amount of money on something which may not work well.

Or you could just spend some extra money, buy an additional AP licence for the WLC and buy a Cisco AP and it would definitely work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card