cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

extending vlan 301 through ASR 1006 (extending the broadcast domain)

mayler001
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening everyone. My brain hurts trying to figure this out. I'm used to Layer 3 switches so this is different. 

According to the documentation, this should be allowed using EVC and Bridge Domains. But there is one disclaimer in the documentation... if you've configured a channel-group on a physical ports, you can't have port-channels (or something like that). 

I have configured multiple port-channels (for port redundancy), each port-channel having multiple sub-interfaces (for vlan creation on this beast). Each sub-interface has an ip address. Now it has come to my attention that there are two vlans that need to be extended from a remote office (via port-channel 3) to our Core (via port-channel 1). I want to be clear, I am trying to get this router to simply forward layer 2 traffic from port-channel 1 to  port-channel 3. I tried the following:

example: vlans 300 and 301 need to be extended.

create additional sub-interfaces like this,...

int port-channel 1.300

encapsulation dot1q 300

int port-channel 1.301

encapsulation dot1q 301

int port-channel 3.300 

encap dot1q 300

int port-channel 3.301

encap dot1q 3.301

But that didn't work. I tried evc and bdi but it's confusing as heck. Anyone got any ideas? Is this possible? Can you point me to a resource that can make it crystal clear for me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

ASR-1006 is a router and so you can't extend vlans through it like a layer-2/3 switch.  Sub-interfaces are not like layer-2 trunks. They are layer-3

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

ASR-1006 is a router and so you can't extend vlans through it like a layer-2/3 switch.  Sub-interfaces are not like layer-2 trunks. They are layer-3

HTH

There aren't any tunneling tools I can use to get this to work are there? 

Thank you Reza. I was worried about that.

So I have an opportunity to re-configure this entire beast because of this. If I need to make this work, is the ASR the wrong choice or am I just going about it wrong? 

I've read that if I had two ASRs I could implement OTV. Does that make sense? 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/wan_otv/configuration/xe-3s/wan-otv-xe-3s-book/wan-otv-confg.html#GUID-DCB20ADF-1F8E-434B-AE97-54802879F34F

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card