cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Extender Host Port as ESX Trunk port

jwarmoth78
Level 1
Level 1

I'm also going to pose this question with VMware but am curious if  anyone has tried to configure a Fabric Extender host port as a Trunk in  order to connect an ESX 4.1 host to it.  I understand that you cannot  attach another switch that is reliant upon STP to a Fabric Extender host  port because that host port will go into error disable mode as soon as  it sees a BPDU.  I do not believe that a virtual switch relies on STP  and therefore could potentially fall into the below FEX configuration  caveat.

When I hook an ESX host up to my FEX host port configured as a trunk, the port does not go into err-disable mode but I cannot connect to any of the trunked VLANs either.  The FEX host port shows up/up.

Per the Fabric Extender config documentation:

Any edge switch that leverages a link redundancy mechanism not dependent on Spanning Tree such as
Cisco Flexlink or vPC (with BPDUFilter enabled) may be connected to a Fabric Extender host interface.
Since spanning tree is not utilized to eliminate loops, care must be taken to ensure a loop-free topology
below the Fabric Extender host interfaces.

Has anyone else tried this configuration?

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card