cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Factory reset Cisco 3850

mcdonald-james
Level 1
Level 1

I want to factory reset a 3850. I want to find out if there is a way to reset all variables to default. "wr er" , delete nvram: startup-config and hold mode button down does not reset everything. For instance the switch priority will not change to priority 1. If this can't be done is there a list of variables that a " Factory reset " does not change?

James

6 Replies 6

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To reset the switch to the factory defaults:

Step 1 If you are using Cisco IOS XE Release 3.6.0E or later releases, enter the erase startup-config privileged EXEC command to clear the contents of your startup configuration.If you are using an earlier release, you can skip this step.

Step 2 Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.

Step 3 Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch restarts.

Step 4 The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup as described in the ā€œRunning Express Setupā€ section.

2-why do u expect the STP priority to change it to one?? This will not happen.

3- all your confided wgo after u do the factory reset....but r u saying that your conduit remained the same after doing the factory reset???

Hth

Regard

Inayath

*please rate if this info is useful

So, when you get a switch new in the box it boots up as priority 1 and the switch is not stacked so it is switch 1. I want to take a switch out of a stack and I want to reset the whole configuration. I know I can delete the startup and Vlan.dat files, but it does not reset things that are not in a configuration file. Like the priority of the switch. And I am wondering what other configuration parameters are not stored into a config file that I have to manually check.

James 

Hi,

is there also a procedure which does not required to login first? I have a couple of c3850 stacks which do not prompt for login any more. I saw a bug in the tracker related to this but this bug applied to 3.3.0. I have 3.3.5 and 3.6.0 installed. (is worth an own discussion probably)

Regards,

Markus

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In addition to what InayathUlla has already stated,

delete the vlan.dat file

del flash:vlan.dat

and to change the switch stack #(if that is what you are referring to?)

switch  "current-stack-member-number" renumber 1

Hope this helps,

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For instance the switch priority will not change to priority 1.

If you know what you're doing, then the value of the switch stack priority won't make any significant difference to the way your network operates.  

I regularly add new switch to the stack and discover the new switch has priority previously set to a different value.  No big issue, just re-issue the correct command.  

Sircad1981
Level 1
Level 1

The reason your switch will not renumber to switch 1 is because that command doesn't exist in the startup config and/or you have not reloaded your switch.

Show running-config

Look for "switch 1 provision ws-c3850-48p" (verify your model number and port count)

If it doesn't exist, then

conf t

switch 1 provision ws-c3850-48p

wr me

reload

show switch (switch should now be #1)

You can now remove the switch 2 provision command from your config if you'd like.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card