Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover not working as expected

BrycePang5585
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

im new to networking, right now im trying to use RV325 to connect 2x ISP using failover feature, but somehow, the second ISP could not back it up when the first one goes down, i have to reboot the RV325 in order to make it work, it seems there is a "sleeping mood" or something when not using the DMZ/WAN port or no traffic, it might disable or disconnect from the ISP, does it have any way to set always on ? anyone have idea.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

on the WAN2 interface to ISP2 configuration check the following

Select Connect on Demand if your ISP charges when connected. Enter the maximum
idle time, in seconds, to wait before terminating the connection due to inactivity. Default
is 5 minutes.
>>>>> Select Keep Alive to periodically check the connection, and to re-establish the connection
when it is disconnected.

This might solve the issue that WAN2 is not ready to be used when WAN1 fails.

Your ISP2 is likely using a form of PPPoE session or other type of session with an idle timer.

Edit:

download the following guide for your route see pag 22 for the Keepalive option on WAN interface

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/administration/guide/en/Updated/rv32x_ag_en.pdf

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe Larosa

thank you for your reply, i will go try with my customer, i'll update you if working or not. :D

Hello,

on a side note and in addition to Giuseppe's post, do you have Network Service Detection (which is an optional feature) enabled ?

The feature is described on page 53 of the same guide that is already linked in the previous post...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/administration/guide/en/Updated/rv32x_ag_en.pdf

Network Service Detection --> When Fail --> Keep System Log and Remove the Connection

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card