cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FastReload Firmware Upgrade in a Stack of Catalyst 9300

Hannibal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community, good morning to the best community on the internet...

Last week I opened a thread about updating a switch stack made up of Catalyst c9300 switches. Thanks to Leo Laohoo and Balaji Bandi who clarified many things for me.

Now, I am going to open a new link to see if anyone in the community has had experience doing firmware update applying the (RELOADFAST) feature in critical data centers where the stack has several PORT-CHANNELs configured and where the downtime is necessary to be minimal.

I know Cisco says: "To prevent any loops from that might happen while going through a fast reload, it is only
supported on switches with a single uplink to the STP root. A port-channel counts as a single uplink".

But, what happen if I put all port-channells and critical links in shutdown state so I try to avoid any loop and I Can to do the upgrade the firmware in "install Mode with Fast Reload"?

It is possible to put all port-channel of the stack in shutdown and after try to do the upgrade install Mode with Fast Reload? 

Has someone in the community performed this type of firmware update in such a critical data center with multiple port-channels configured?

Thank you and I hope someone did and share their experience

Kind regards

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Hannibal wrote:

Now, I am going to open a new link to see if anyone in the community has had experience doing firmware update applying the (RELOADFAST) feature in critical data centers where the stack has several PORT-CHANNELs configured and where the downtime is necessary to be minimal.

1.  ReloadFast is related to FSU/eFSU.  ISSU or FSU/eFSU only works in very limited cases.   (Read between the lines.)

2.  When it comes to Catalyst 9k, COLD reboot (pull the power cable) is really the best option.  (Read between the lines.)

3.  Those Catalyst 9300 better not be in a stack.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card