Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber channel on switch

gmbouyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am designing a small LAN with about 50 PC, 4 servers and a tape library scalari3 for backup/archiving which only has a 8Gbps Fiber channel port.

I use as access switch Cisco 2960X for PC and Core switch Cisco 3850 with x10G ports. I am looking for a suitable and low cost switch solution for my servers. I would like to connect this tape library to my Dell servers using FC (tape library side) and FCoE (server side).

Which low cost swich model can i use to connect my Tape library with 8Gbps FC ports and my servers with 10G FCoE ports and 1/10G classic Ethernet ports

Thanks

Gerard

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unsure how "low cost" they are, but you might start with looking at Nexus 5K series.

Hi Joseph

If i understand, you adviced to use a Nexus 5500 + unified port module to connect my Tape Library with 8Gbps FC and the server with 10Gbps FCoE.

The servers will have 2 connections

- FCoE for interconnection with the Tape Library and

- Classic 10G for data

Thanks

Well I didn't recommend a specific model, but I believe the Nexus 5K series might offer all the capabilities you're asking for; perhaps the model and module you note, will do that.

I've only have a little experience with the Nexus 5K/6K series, and none using FC or FCoE.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card