cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre connected switch be a stack member?

paul.thomas
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of 3750 Switches, one will be in a location 400m away connected via fibre through GBIC modules. Can this be a stack member or does it have to be a seperate stack with its own IP address?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a number of 3750 Switches, one will be in a location 400m away connected via fibre through GBIC modules. Can this be a stack member or does it have to be a seperate stack with its own IP address?

Not possible.

The method of "stacking" two switches together at that distance is VSS.  And currently, only the Sup720 and Sup2T will support VSS.  Very soon the 4500R+E Sup7E and Sup7LE and the 4500X will support VSS.

And that's about it. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

The longest stack cable is 3 meters long, so you cannot stack the switch 400m away and you need to put it as standalone or separate stack:

www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not possible.

The method of "stacking" two switches together at that distance is VSS.  And currently, only the Sup720 and Sup2T will support VSS.  Very soon the 4500R+E Sup7E and Sup7LE and the 4500X will support VSS.

And that's about it. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card