Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewalling options on Nexus 7000

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, 

What are the options for adding aa Firewall on Nexus 7K . I only see you can have external ASA. I don't see any option for FW module like ASA Firewall module for 6500s. What ar ethe possible considerations other than external firewall, or is this the only one?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I am aware the only service module supported by the N7ks is the NAM (Network Analysis Module).

So you have two choices -

1) use a standalone firewall

or

2) if you already have 6500s with firewall modules use those as services chassis and connect to the N7Ks.

Obviously the throughput requirement of the firewalls needs to be taken into account.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi, 
What are the options for adding aa Firewall on Nexus 7K . I only see you can have external ASA. I don't see any option for FW module like ASA Firewall module for 6500s. What ar ethe possible considerations other than external firewall, or is this the only one?
Thanks

Hi Fawad,

Rightly said by Jon.

Nexus 7000 Series does not currently support services modules same as catlyst 6500. So you have either option to add external ASA 55XX series firewall based on your architecture requirement or if you have 6500 with FWSM module that can be leverage as a firewall in your network.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card